Good drawing skills are indispensable for any visual artist. This course teaches you the fundamental skills and techniques of drawing, and unpacks the building blocks of picture-making by showing you the principles that underpin your ability to see, interpret, and record the visual world around you.
Classical drawing in particular emphasises beauty, balance, harmony and unity, so compositional principles must be prioritised. All elements of the picture must remain unified and in balance throughout, and in a Gestalt sense, the final whole must be greater than the individual parts.
In this course, we will also troubleshoot some of the most common problems and pitfalls:
- Holding the pencil correctly and flexibly to accommodate different strokes and different line or tone outcomes
- Building tone and shading patiently and professionally
- Developing a new and more refined attitude as well as a deeper appreciation for the medium and its techniques
- Fostering a daily practice routine of some simple drawing-from-observation exercises
By the end of this course, you will have learned:
- Sketch with greater confidence, optimising your intuitive response to subject matter
- Understand and know how to apply the core principles of classical drawing to your artwork – design, line, value and form
- Learn and use various drawing tips and techniques from the Old Masters
- Know how to measure accurately, using comparative measurement and the sight-size method
- Understand media and materials, and their uses
- Practice working with different subject matter: still life, portrait, figure, landscape